Chicken cooked in a paste made with roasted aromatic spices and coconut. A traditional Goan speciality of chicken in a very rich gravy.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a pan and lightly brown coconut and transfer into a mixer jar. Add garlic cloves.
- Dry roast red chillies, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, black peppercorns, fennel seeds, carom seeds, poppy seeds, cloves, cinnamon and star anise till fragrant. Add it to the coconut in the jar.
- Add turmeric powder and a little water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Heat the remaining oil in a deep pan and sauté onions till well browned. Add chicken and sauté on high heat for two to three minutes. Add salt and mix. Add the masala paste and stir well.
- Add two cups of water and stir. Add tamarind pulp and mix. Grate some nutmeg (about ¼ teaspoon) and add.
- When the mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for about thirty minutes or till the chicken is done. Serve hot with boiled Goan red rice.