Poee is Goa’s answer to pita bread. Soft and fluffy, but nice and crusty on the outside and mildly spiced with ajwain (carom seed) and Nigella (onion seed), it’s a perfect complement to any meal. Although not traditionally whole wheat, this fiber-rich healthier version is just as delicious
- 1/2 cups white bread flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 1/4 – 2 3/4 cups whole wheat bread flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ajwain (carom seed)
- 1/2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds (black onion seed)
- olive oil
1In a small bowl, dissolve sugar in 1/2 cup lukewarm water. Sprinkle the yeast on top and wait until it gets foamy; about 10 minutes.
5Preheat oven to 425 F.
6Turn onto a floured board and divide into 6 balls.
7Make a slash in the center of each ball and then by hand, stretch out the rest of the dough so that it looks like a butterfly.
8Place on a cookie sheet. Brush lightly with a little olive oil and sprinkle the nigella seeds on top.
9Bake for 15 minutes.